In my whole seo experience i have applied several keyword research method and learned best practice which i will describe through this post so that u can get the idea of my work process.I also described the overview of keyword research method and my own thought.
So What is Keyword Research and Why
I am sure all of know better from me.In Briefly i have to say,finding the most profitable and most importantly low competitive niche from millions of seed keyword that suits your business.
In my point of view the main objective of keyword research is mainly three.I will be elaborating main purpose and process through out the post.
- Target market and Traffic
- Profit Calculation
- Competition Analysis
Long tail keywords for your Niche
Long tail keywords are the longer, more specific keywords that are less common and tends to get traffic that make high conversion.Moreover long tail also less competitive and actual customer driven.For your niche its important to figure out most profitable keyword and that’s where my expertise lies.
Target market and Traffic
You cant target the whole big term like -“android” because its not specific and very broad term.Or you cant also select ‘android apps for alien’ that’s not making sense at all.What i am trying to say is we should select target market which contains following ability.
- Your target market should want and need your product or service today and tomorrow
- Your target market must have the ability to provide money for you
- Your target market should be achievable ,easy accessible and low competitive
- Your target market should achievable by a time.frame
- Your target market should meet your profit criteria.
This part is really valuable part when we are talking about any investment or seo activity; whether my risky initiative can give me smart amount of gain.Fortunately,I have learned and successfully applied a calculation for profit assumption.This goes below;
Situation One:For instance you are planing for some niche site that is mainly for adsense.Some info You might know;
- Top 1st position will get 62% CTR,
- Average CTR for adsense may nim 7- 10 % even more Appr.
- Google pays average 60% of CPC
Strategy One:Estimating Keyword Income
To find do the math following
1) Multiply the Estimated Avg CPC by .60– We are presuming Google pays average 60% of CPC
2) Then multiply this amount by the monthly search volume (exact)
3) Multiply the amount by .62 (Top 1st position will get 62% CTR, )
4) Finally we multiply the running figure by .07 (Average CTR for adsense may nim 7- 10 % even )
Strategy two:Find Search Volume (SV) That meets Profit criteria
Here we have to know also previous data and then do following.
First,Search Volume x CTR=SV x 62%
Secondly,SV x62% multiply CTR of visitor =Google paying CPC
Now SV=? (find it by calculating and you will find how many SV you will need)
Situation Two: If you are using actual products or affiliate network this principle is fundamental to figure out the basic info.I guess this can be workout for you also.
Brainstorm for keyword
Suppose you have selected your target market and its time to move on for picking keyword.Wait one sec I guess most of the entrepreneur makes mistake by jumping away from brainstorm.
If you own a business for selling products or providing service than thinks it as consumer,What people will use as search on Google.Here is some idea to gather keyword suggestion and brainstorm.
- I Use my sense.Look around myself,shopping list,magazine,or blog about my niche
- Search it to Google and follow related result.Use related search or * parameter.
- http://ubersuggest.org/ is another great tools that i found useful for gathering random keyword suggestion..
- Modifying keyword with different types of keyword action word and other category.Like-‘ buy android apps for alien’ or ‘summer android apps for alien’ (seasonal) and many others.
- I sometimes use Google trend and instant.http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends gives me idea whats going on around hot.
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers and http://listings.ebay.com/ also gives thousand of seed keyword idea and people are actually buying.You can use it for your target market also.
- https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool I am big fan of it personally.It will provide most of required info and valuable keyword information by filtering.
- http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/keyword-position.html also gives some useful sugestion according to your search
Now you need to save all keyword suggestion on word document and save it for further use.
After collecting all the suggested keyword its time filter them.Drooping weak one putting potential one is main purpose of filtering.You have to consider these things for filtering keyword.
- Satisfactory number of searcher,It depends upon business size and capability.Very low serch volume must have to avoid because it will not be profitable.
- For niche site 2000 exact match is minimum value many internet marketing professional recommended.I described all about niche site strategy on another post.
- High competitive keyword should be avoided because it will difficult for ranking.
For doing i usally use https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool because its easy to use.Now copy these keyword suggestion and paste some to keyword tools box.Now for filtering some step have to take that is following.
- Select the exact instead of broad.It will let you know exact monthly search volume.
- Suppose you want to avoid low search global under 2000 ,local 1500 ,approximate cpc under $1 and you want high competitive keyword and local region at US.Then
- Go to advance option and filter and and set all them.Here is the screen shot of it.Now all set up and press search button to go.
- Finally You will get all the keyword that meets your requirement and all are profitable, demanding as well.You can sort column.
- Now mark them all and save as CSV file.You can delete or add column before download.Now need to move next step.
As a seo professional ,I hardly believe that most of the small and medium business fail for this.I wrote a complete guide line and my strategy about competitior anlaysis over here.
Why competitor analysis is important
Some important issue for doing competitor analysis.
- Letting you know competitors strength and weakness.
- Is is possible to demote them and grab the 1st ranking
- How much time it will take
- Spy on them and their activity.
- How much effort it will take to compete with them.
Factors of competitor analysis
I figured out some vital issue here and described lot more about this here. Understanding how difficult it is to rank in the top 10 of Google for your chosen keyword is probably the most important skill for keyword analysis. Luckily, this skill I acquired with my experience, serious study, and effort.For some reason, people still type their keyword into Google and look at the number of competing pages to judge how difficult a keyword is to rank for. This is ridiculous!I gave one example of my work so that you can understand how analyze competitor.
- Relevant Content.As we all know content is king.So main factor that will clarify your primary possibly.
- Optimized Title Competition- Is the keyword used in the title and well optimized?
- Page and Site Links. How many links are there to the ranking PAGE and ROOT domain?
- Authority Site and Links. Are there .edu, .gov, DMOZ, or Yahoo Directory links?
- Google Page Rank. What is the Google PR?
- Using Keyword Root Domain or URL? Is the ranking page a root domain or a URL ?
- EMD. Are the site is Exact match domain.
- Site Age. How old the site is?
- Type of site. Is the ranking page a weak type of site like: article directories, forums, Yahoo Answers, other Q&A sites, social sites, or other user generated type sites?
- Existing sites.Site which is not ranking well on top 10 yet; i mean ongoing project to spy.